EPA’s Method 22 Emissions Observations Using Smartphones
What is Method 22 and what are fugitive emissions?
Method 22 can also be used for visible emissions from stationary sources such as smoke stacks if there is such a requirement in the applicable emission standard.
Automating Record Keeping
There are demonstrable benefits to recording Method 22 information using an electronic form:
- Easy-to-use and efficient data recording using mobile devices (Android / iOS)
- Ensuring required M22 intervals are kept
- Minimizing learning curves and maximizing efficiencies
- Identifying and standardizing your M22 observation points and providing an electronic ‘how to’ guides
- Organized, easy way to manage record keeping
- Quick data retrieval for inspectors/auditors
Walk around the facility, building, or structure that has the process you need to observe and find where potential emissions may occur.
Choose a location with a clear view of the building or operation you are supposed to observe. Make sure it is safe – not in the way of moving equipment — and does not pose any other safety hazard.
Pick a spot where the sunlight is not shining directly into your eyes.
Use your Smartphone’s Electronic Form App to record all required information.
More information about Method 22 is available at: